St John Bosco Catholic Primary School

A massive thank you to this local funding project for the money generously given to develop our library and garden areas. We now have one indoor and two outdoor libraries to be very proud of. We’ve bought new furniture, created more reading spaces and even painted and decorated our reading areas to make them appealing. We’ve also boosted the libraries in each classroom, with topic specific books for the children to borrow.

The garden project was taken on by class 6, who loved it! We’ve created planting beds and grown a number of vegetables, flowers and even fruit trees. We’ve made our school more eco-friendly with the addition of composters and water butts. A new summer house is being built in the garden area in order to study and observe nature, and we now specifically feed the birds and butterflies using feeders, as well as adding a large bug hotel to the garden. The children have completed class work and created eco-awareness badges too, in order to complete the project and ensure that we take good care of our school environment.

Here are some quotes from the children involved:

“Reading in the outdoor areas is really peaceful and I love sharing books and reading to the younger children in KS1.”

“There are so many books to choose from and I like it that we can take home more than just our scheme book.”

“The KS2 outdoor library looks brilliant and I’m proud that I painted some of it.”

“The garden eco project has been the best thing this half term. I am proud that I have helped make the school more environmentally friendly.”

“I love watching all the birds come for the seeds and fruit. Every day we get to work in the garden, getting fresh air and learning new skills.”

“It was amazing being able to eat vegetables we’ve actually grown ourselves and to give some to families who need it makes me feel happy.”