St John Bosco pupils enjoy looking smart and our visitors always comment on how fantastic our uniform is.
The children wear ties and jumpers or cardigans with a St John Bosco badge. These can be purchased from school through the uniform company – Price and Buckland. In order to purchase a jumper/cardigan or tie, parents can order through their Parent Pay account stating the size that they require in the notes sections. All Reception children are given a free tie upon starting school with us.
Our school uniform policy was updated in April 2022, and approved by governors, following consultation with staff, parents and pupils. You can read it on our Policies and Documents page.
Pre-Loved School Uniform
At the end of every term, we run a special pre-loved clothing initiative.
Our Eco Team work hard year to make improvements around school in order for us to be more sustainable and eco-friendlier. This also reflects our Catholic Social Teaching principle of Care for God’s Creation: The Church challenges us to be good caretakers of the Earth’s resources. Can we be more aware of recycling items we do not need, instead of sending them to the land fill?
This initiative involves pre-loved clothes. Each term we ask for donations of pre-loved clothes that are in good condition. We particularly look for school uniform, winter coats, summer wear, swim wear, PE kits and footwear including wellies.
Then, everyone has the opportunity to take home some of this pre-loved clothing and footwear. Everything is left out on display and during that time, you can go along and help yourself. Donations for clothes can be made on Parent Pay. This is entirely voluntary: you may just help yourself or you can make a financial contribution towards what you have taken. All money received is used by the eco team to further improve upon sustainability. Donations made on Parent Pay are completely confidential so there is absolutely no obligation to pay anything but equally, you are more than welcome to.
Here are some key facts and a short message from our eco team explaining why you should consider using pre-loved clothes:
- Fashion is the world’s second-largest polluter after the oil industry.
- People buy 80 billion garments around the world every year.
- A rubbish truck of clothes is burned or landfilled every. single. second.
- Polyester takes more than 200 years to decompose.
- Fabric production is responsible for 20% of all industrial water pollution annually.
- The U.S. throws away up to 11.3 million tons of textile waste each year – around 2,150 pieces of clothing each second.
- Today, fashion accounts for up to 10% of global carbon dioxide output – more than international flights and shipping combined.
- The fashion industry is responsible for 2.1 billion tons of CO2 emissions each year.
School Uniform plus Prefects and FABs
Below is a breakdown of the school uniform for boys and girls:
- Red jumper
- White shirt
- School tie
- Black or grey trousers
- Dark coloured socks
- Smart black shoes
- Red jumper or cardigan
- White shirt
- Black or grey trousers or skirt
- White/black/red coloured tights or socks
- Smart black shoes
Our prefects wear blue jumpers and FABs (Friends Against Bullying) wear yellow hoodies in order to make them easily distinguishable. These roles are chosen each year and this special uniform is provided by school.
- House t-shirt
- Black shorts
- Black/dark blue jogging bottoms, tracksuit bottoms or leggings (for outdoor PE in the colder months)
- PE jacket (as provided by school)
When your child goes swimming, please provide them with the following items:
- Boys will need to wear shorts. These shorts cannot go below the knee as they make swimming difficult.
- Girls must wear a swimming costume.
- Swimming caps are compulsory.
- Goggles and nose clips are optional.
- All items of clothing and accessories (scarves, gloves, bags) must be clearly labelled with the child’s name.
- Shoes must be smart black shoes and not black trainers.
- Sweatshirts, outdoor fleeces, polo shirts and lightweight jackets may be ordered from school.
- Please note: fleeces and lightweight coats for outdoor use only.
- We do not accept fashion hair styles, tattoo transfers or nail varnish.
- Jewellery must be stud earrings only.
Price and Buckland are our main supplier of school uniform. Currently, school buy all uniform directly from them and then sell it on to parents. However, from next year, parents will instead buy directly from the supplier through an online shop. Uniform can then be delivered to an address of choice for a small fee or delivered to school free of charge to be collected by parents.
Our second supplier are CC Uniforms Ltd. They are based in West Bromwich and their phone number is 0121 448 9199. Their website is www.ccuniforms.co.uk